From Placing Awareness to Resting as Awareness

Image
  From Placing Awareness to Resting as Awareness For a long time, I thought the spiritual path was about getting somewhere. I believed there would come a day when the mind would finally become quiet, meditation would become effortless, and something called enlightenment would arrive and stay. So I practiced. I sat, watched my breath, repeated mantras, observed thoughts, returned to the present moment a thousand times. The practice was real, and it changed me. But looking back, I can see that something even quieter was happening beneath all those years of effort. The practice was not taking me to Reality. It was gently wearing out the habit of believing I had ever left it. Two Sanskrit words have stayed with me: Nyāsa and Viśrānti . The more I live with them, the more they seem to describe the whole journey. Nyāsa means "placing," "establishing," "resting something where it belongs." It comes from the prefix ni , meaning "into" or "within,...

Experience. And Then Go Beyond Experience.



Experience. And Then Go Beyond Experience.

Most of us come to the spiritual path because something happened.

A meditation that felt unusually quiet. A moment in nature when the world seemed brighter than usual. A sudden feeling of love with no obvious cause. Something opens, even for a few seconds, and we think:

There is more to life than I realized.

That instinct is often true. The experience becomes a doorway. The trouble begins when we mistake the doorway for the destination. I know because I've done it myself.

Years ago, after a particularly deep meditation, I spent weeks trying to recreate it. Every morning I sat down hoping for the same stillness, the same sense of vastness. Some days it appeared. Most days it didn't. The funny thing is that I wasn't meditating anymore. I was chasing yesterday.

The Collector Hides Everywhere

The mind likes collecting things. Books. Memories. Opinions. 

And when it enters spirituality, it starts collecting experiences. One person collects visions. Another collects energy movements. Another collects stories about awakening. The collection becomes more sophisticated, but the habit remains the same.

I've met seekers who can describe twenty years of experiences in remarkable detail—the lights they saw, the sounds they heard, the states they entered.

Yet when asked a simple question — "Right now, what is here?" — they become strangely uncomfortable. Because memory is easier than presence.

Most of us would rather talk about a beautiful sunset than stand quietly and watch one.

Everything Passes Through

A few months ago I was sitting in Gurgaon traffic. Horns. Dust. A motorbike squeezing through a gap that did not really exist.

My meditation that morning had been terrible, at least according to the standards I had invented for myself. The mind was restless. The body felt heavy.

And yet, sitting there at a red light, I noticed something. The thoughts were changing. The sounds were changing. The irritation was changing. Even my judgment about the meditation was changing. Everything was moving.

Something wasn't. 

The noticing itself remained untouched. The traffic came and went through it. The thoughts came and went through it. The whole day came and went through it.

That simple observation stayed with me longer than many dramatic spiritual experiences.

The Problem With Highs

Nobody gets attached to confusion. Nobody says, "I hope I stay anxious forever."

But bliss? That's harder.

When a meditation leaves us feeling light and open, we naturally want more of it. And yet every high carries its own shadow. The moment we try to hold it, we start measuring ourselves against it.

Today's meditation gets compared with yesterday's. This retreat gets compared with the last retreat. Soon the search for freedom quietly becomes another performance review.

Spirituality can become surprisingly exhausting. Almost funny, if we're honest. We leave ordinary ambition behind and immediately invent sacred ambition.

Watching the River

One evening I sat by a river after the monsoon. The water was carrying leaves, branches, bits of grass, the occasional plastic bottle—humanity always leaves a signature. The surface never stopped moving. Not for a second. And yet the river wasn't struggling to hold any particular wave. It wasn't trying to preserve a beautiful ripple or reject an ugly one. Everything belonged. 

Experiences are like that. A moment of joy passes through. A moment of grief passes through. A profound meditation passes through. A dull meditation passes through. Life keeps moving. The river does not become greater because a golden leaf floats across it. And it does not become lesser because mud enters the water.

What Remains?

At some point the real question changes.

Not: "How do I get a better experience?"

But: "What is here before the experience arrives?"

And after it leaves? That question sounds simple. It isn't. 

The mind always wants something it can hold. A feeling. A vision. A conclusion. Something. But what if the deepest thing in your life is not something? What if it cannot be possessed because it is the very space in which possessing happens? That sounds abstract until you begin looking for yourself.

Then it becomes surprisingly intimate. Closer than breath. Closer than thought. So close that we overlook it.

Beyond Experience

When people hear "go beyond experience," they often imagine losing the richness of life. The opposite happens. Life becomes more immediate. The smell of rain on warm earth. The sound of a fan turning in a quiet room at midnight. The pale light arriving through a window before sunrise.

Nothing needs to become mystical. Everything already is. Experience is still there. Joy still comes. Sadness still comes. Love still comes. The difference is that they no longer define the ground beneath your feet. They become visitors instead of landlords.

A Quiet Discovery

I don't think the sages were asking us to reject experience. They laughed, cried, loved, walked, ate, and watched sunsets like everyone else. What they discovered was something simple.

Experience changes. The experiencer seems to change. Yet awareness itself remains strangely untouched. Always here. Always available. Not hiding. Not waiting. Not demanding special conditions. Just quietly present while life unfolds in all its beautiful disorder.

And perhaps that is why the deepest realization often arrives without fireworks. No cosmic soundtrack. No dramatic revelation. Just a quiet recognition, almost embarrassingly simple.

The thing we were searching for through every experience was never inside the experience. It was the light by which the experience was known.

And somehow that light has been here all along...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Damar Tantra | Shivambu Kalpa (Urine Therapy)

Mahavatar Babaji Temple in Chennai

educoin - the digital currency of learning

What is Sun Gazing?

From Placing Awareness to Resting as Awareness

Declare India a Spiritual Democracy in the Constitution of India

Make Sanskrit National Language of India

Trance: The Language for Humanity, With Love and Thanks to All Languages

How to cure or prevent arthritis on your own?

Affirmations for Introverts