From Placing Awareness to Resting as Awareness
Not seven steps. Not sequential. Seven simultaneous dimensions of practice.
Most spiritual practices require us to pause life. Sit down. Close the eyes. Withdraw attention. Enter meditation. There is immense value in this. Yet the sages never intended spirituality to remain confined to meditation sessions. The purpose of meditation is not to escape life.
The purpose of meditation is to discover that which remains unchanged while life unfolds. The highest realization is stabilized when the eyes are open.
For this reason:
Ātma-Viśrānti is Resting as Self amidst all states, activities, thoughts, emotions, and experiences.
The practice is: Self-Rest
The mature state is: Self-Restfulness
The following framework transforms every moment of life into spiritual practice.
Every spiritual path begins here. Not by acquiring knowledge. Not by accumulating experiences. But by recognizing false identification.
नासतो विद्यते भावो नाभावो विद्यते सतः
nāsato vidyate bhāvo nābhāvo vidyate sataḥ
"The unreal has no existence; the Real never ceases to be."
Throughout the day repeatedly observe:
I am aware of the body.
Therefore I am not merely the body.
I am aware of thoughts.
Therefore I am not merely thoughts.
I am aware of emotions.
Therefore I am not merely emotions.
This is Viveka in action.
Once identification loosens, witnessing becomes possible.
तदा द्रष्टुः स्वरूपेऽवस्थानम्
tadā draṣṭuḥ svarūpe'vasthānam
"Then the Seer abides in its own nature."
Practice:
Every hour ask:
What is aware of this experience?
Not: What am I experiencing? But: What is aware?
Gradually awareness shifts from objects toward the Seer.
One of the most transformative discoveries of advanced practice is this.
Life is already happening. Breathing happens. Thinking happens. Digestion happens. The heart beats. The earth rotates. The sun rises.
प्रकृतेः क्रियमाणानि गुणैः कर्माणि सर्वशः
prakṛteḥ kriyamāṇāni guṇaiḥ karmāṇi sarvaśaḥ
"All actions are performed by Nature."
Replace: "I am doing" with "Doing is happening."
The burden of doership begins dissolving.
Emotions become suffering only when identity fuses with them.
मात्रास्पर्शास्तु कौन्तेय शीतोष्णसुखदुःखदाः
"Experiences of pleasure and pain come and go."
When emotions arise: Observe. Allow. Witness. Rest.
The emotion moves. Awareness remains.
Most seekers focus on thoughts. Advanced seekers focus on the source of thoughts.
Between two thoughts there is a gap. A stillness. A silent opening.
अणोरणीयान्महतो महीयानात्माऽस्य जन्तोर्निहितो गुहायाम्
"The Self resides in the secret cave of the heart."
Several times each day: Pause. One breath. No past. No future.
Rest in the silent interval.
Self-Rest is not withdrawal. It is participation without bondage.
कर्मण्येवाधिकारस्ते मा फलेषु कदाचन
"You have the right to action, never to its fruits."
Act completely. Release outcome psychologically. Remain inwardly rested.
This is Karma Yoga becoming Ātma-Viśrānti.
Eventually practice itself matures. The seeker becomes less important. Being becomes more obvious.
भिद्यते हृदयग्रन्थिः छिद्यन्ते सर्वसंशयाः
"The knot of the heart is cut. All doubts are resolved."
Several times daily simply rest. No mantra. No visualization. No effort. No technique.
Simply Be.
All seven movements culminate in a single realization.
अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
ahaṁ brahmāsmi
"I am Brahman."
Self-Rest ultimately matures into recognition that the Self never required rest.
The Self is Rest itself.
What becomes tired is the mind. What becomes exhausted is the ego. What becomes burdened is identification.
The Self remains untouched.
Comments
Post a Comment